Purpose of the Maryland Association of School Librarians
The general purpose of this non-profit educational organization shall be the improvement of teaching and learning in Maryland by bringing together individuals who are engaged in the field of school library media and information studies which fosters curriculum support and information retrieval and use. The organization shall achieve this general purpose by working toward the following specific goals:
- To develop a lifelong love of reading among students in Maryland.
- To develop skills and promote excellence in print and nonprint media production among students in Maryland
- To promote and provide for the professional development of its members in order to better implement goals one and two.
- To encourage the dissemination and sharing of ideas, programs and materials among members through conferences, publications, and other media.
- To encourage the implementation of state and national standards and guidelines for school library media programs.
- To foster public understanding of the value of library media programs in the educational process and lifelong learning.
- To plan and execute programs to encourage the implementation of exemplary school library media programs throughout Maryland.
- To develop cooperative relationships with other associations and agencies having similar purpose.
- To be organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501 (c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code.